Get Involved

What you can do

The South Australian Parliament has established a Joint Committee on End of Life Choices.

Read the SAVES submission and other submissions made by supporters of Voluntary Assisted Dying on the JCEOLC website. For example, submissions from My Body My Choice, Dr Julia Anaf, Prof Ian Maddocks AM, White and Willmott, Hon Sandra Kanck, SA Police, Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation provide valuable insights. (Note: if you may have trouble downloading documents from the Parliament website using Safari, try Google Chrome.)

If you made a submission, send a copy to your local State MP.

Attend the next SAVES Public Meeting held regularly at The Box Factory, Regent St South, Adelaide.

Note: During the Covid-19 restrictions on public gatherings, 2020 public meetings have been cancelled.

Contact your current State MP

Now is the time to be active.

Let your MP know that 9 states in the USA, as well as the District of Columbia, have now legalised VAD. This means that 1 in 5 people in the USA now have access to VAD.

Voluntary Assisted Dying will only become legal when a majority of MPs in both Houses of the South Australian Parliament vote for the legislation.

In November 2016, the Death With Dignity Bill went down by one vote: 23 MPs voted for the Bill; 23 voted against; and the Speaker used his casting vote to vote the Bill down. The vote of every MP is needed.

​Find your local State Member of Parliament

IMG_2125.JPGFind out which State Electorate you live in - click here. (Enter your address or suburb in the search box at the top of the page).

Then find out who your local State MP is - click here. (Place your Electorate name in the 'Electorate' box.)

Contact your local MP and ask them if they support Voluntary Assisted Dying. Find contact details here.

Let your MP know that you want them to say publicly that they will support legislation which will stop the suffering of people at the end of their life.

Talk to your neighbours, your family, your friends - and get them to talk to their MP as well.

And remember the Legislative Council – the Upper House.

Legislation needs to get through both Houses of the Parliament, the Legislative Council as well as the House of Assembly. Legislative Councillors represent the whole state – so every Legislative Councillor is aiming to represent you. Contact as many of them as you can. Ask them the same questions.

Find a list of Legislative Councillors here.

All members of the Legislative Council can be contacted at


Parliament House, North Terrace, Adelaide SA 5000.

Telephone 8237 9100

You can

  • Ring your local State MP
  • Email your local State MP
  • Write to your local State MP
  • Ring members of the Legislative Council
  • Email members of the Legislative Council
  • Write to members of the Legislative Council

Read the End of Life Choice Newsletters for ideas for your discussion with your MP.

Read the latest SAVES Bulletin.

Familiarise yourself with some of the latest information through links on the Resources page.

Tell SAVES what your local MP thinks about Voluntary Assisted Dying

After you contact your MP, tell SAVES what happened. What was their response. What arguments did they use. What questions did they have.

Email us:

Create a community event

Use facebook, your community networks, friends and family to create a community event supporting VAD. Let your local radio and TV station know. Take some pictures. Tell your local MP. Use flashmob. Brainstorm ideas for events with your friends and family and local community. Examples could be a morning tea, a walk, a meeting outside your local MMP's office. And let us know at SAVES what you're planning, how we could support you, and the outcome.

Tell the media what you think

Contact your local Messenger, write to the Advertiser or InDaily, ring in on talk back radio.

Letter to the Editor, The Advertiser can be emailed to

Letter to the Editor, InDaily can be sent to

Invite a Speaker

Invite a speaker from SAVES to your next community organisation meeting. SAVES can provide speakers for community meetings, such as Rotary, Probus, U3A and your retirement village.

Contact Frances Coombe on 0421 305 684.

Other actions you can take